Youth Leadership Corps (YLC)
The Boston Area Rape Crisis Center Youth Leadership Corps (YLC) is a group in which young leaders develop skills to become change agents and activists in their community. Youth ages 14–19 will learn about and create projects to educate their community on issues of sexual violence.
YLC members will also get the chance to learn about related topics, such as oppression, social justice, gender and sexuality, healthy relationships, and more! Skills like community activism, outreach, teamwork, communication, and leadership can be built while earning a stipend—this means that you will get paid to learn and develop leadership skills!
If I start working with the Youth Leadership Corps, what would I do?
- Attending YLC meetings every two weeks
- Attending outreach events and activities, such as the BARCC Walk for Change
- Building awareness of sexual violence through community outreach and projects
- Completing surveys and participating in focus groups for evaluation
- Advising BARCC on ways to be welcoming to young people
OK, I want to apply, but who gets selected?
Unfortunately, we cannot accept everyone who applies. We will interview and select youth who are the following:
- Ages 14–19 (or will be by October 1, 2016)
- Interested in developing awareness around sexual violence as it affects their community
- Eager to develop their skills in leadership, advocacy, and social change
- Capable of working on a team of diverse and open-minded individuals
- Open to laughing, with a good sense of humor
If I were hired, when and where would I need to be?
- Meetings will be hosted Tuesdays, 6:00–8:00 p.m., every two weeks, with occasional events on nights/weekends (no more than once a month).
- Youth are expected to attend all sessions and to communicate when you cannot be there. Earning the full stipend depends on the number of sessions you attend.
- Many of the sessions will be hosted in BARCC’s offices in Cambridge by the Central Square Red Line stop. Some sessions will be hosted at community sites throughout the Greater Boston area.
- YLC members must ensure their own transportation to and from meetings.
For more information, contact:
Patrick Donovan, Youth Clinical Outreach Coordinator
Youth Leadership Corps members will receive consideration without discrimination based on race, creed, color, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status or any condition prescribed by state or local law.
BARCC Tax ID: 04-2974983
24-hour hotline: 800.841.8371