Medical Advocacy - Supporting you in the ER
The advocate really helped me feel like I wasn't alone
What a Medical Advocate can do for you
Immediately following an assault you may face many emotional, medical, and legal decisions. Advocates can:
- Meet you at the hospital emergency room and stay with you during your visit.
- Provide information to help you make the best possible decisions for your situation.
- Advocate for your needs with the hospital staff.
- Talk with your family or friends about how to best support you.
- Help you find a safe place to go when you leave the hospital and figure out your next steps.
What services do Medical Advocates provide
Medical advocates provide in-person, compassionate and knowledgeable support to survivors and their families in hospital emergency departments 24 hours a day.
Who are BARCC Medical Advocates
BARCC’s medical advocates are specially trained rape crisis counselors who understand the hospital emergency room experience. They go to the hospital over 350 times a year. BARCC works in cooperation with hospitals to assure that survivors get the best possible care.
24-hour hotline: 800.841.8371